This is one of my new favorite pumpkin recipes. I predict that I will be making this several times this Fall! It is so crumbly and full of sweet, cinnamon, pumpkin flavor! Believe it or not, this recipe is vegan. I used cornstarch instead of eggs, and soy milk instead of milk. If you want to use eggs and milk, you certainly can. For every 2 tablespoons of cornstarch use one egg, and use equal amounts of milk as soy milk. I also used Betty Crocker’s Gluten Free Cake mix, but using Duncan Hines Yellow Cake mix would make it vegan too.
This dessert tastes wonderful alone, but adding whipped cream or a little vanilla ice cream would definitely kick it up a notch. Adding Haggen-Dazs Brown Sugar ice cream would take this treat to an entirely different level of tastiness! I am thinking I also might try this recipe using a spice cake mix to see how that pairs with the pumpkin filling. I think it might be quite the flavor combination!
Pumpkin Pie Crumble Bars
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cup oats
1 cup canola oil
6 tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup soymilk
1 can (30 oz) pumpkin pie mix
- Mix the cake mix, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, 2 tbsp cornstarch, and oats together.
- Add the oil and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix pumpkin pie mix, soymilk, and 4 tbsp cornstarch until well blended.
- Pat half of the dough into a prepared 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Spoon the pumpkin filling over the dough.
- Crumble the rest of the dough over the pumpkin filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool. Cut into servings and ENJOY!